Friday, July 18, 2014

Started a New Sewing Project Today

My next sewing project is going to take us back to the late 1700's and allow us to get a glimpse of the dress styles of that era.  The doll dress that I have chosen to make was designed by Shari Fuller of Thimbles and Acorns, a super talented lady who spends lots of time doing research into the fashion trends and styles of centuries past.  

This style of gown, as described by Shari, is based on the popular En Forreau' dress style from the 1770's where the bodice and skirt at the center back were cut in one piece and pleated to fit.  The gown can be worn down or tied up with hidden tapes to form a bustle.  The petticoat is historically detailed with front and back ties that form pocket openings at the sides.

Armed with some old gold taffeta that I found in the remnant bin at JoAnns and a cotton floral print that is the perfect color for the fall season, I began my sewing project.  Determined to accomplish something before the end of the day, I pinned the pattern to the fabric, cut it out, serged the edges of each piece, threaded my sewing machine with matching thread, and started sewing the sleeves. My new goal for the day would be to finish the sleeves complete with cuff, lace, and shoulder gathering.

Here are some pictures of my progress up to this point.



My little model for this sewing project will be Maddie.

As you can see from the last sewing picture above I started with the sleeve, first attaching the lace and later the cuff.  Below is a picture of what I thought was the accomplishment of the goal I had set for the day--to finish the sleeves.  


But after further examination I noticed that I had attached the lace to the right sleeve in the same direction as the lace on the left sleeve.  Of course, we all know (don't we) that they have to be the opposites of each other.  So here I am ripping it out, and figuring out what part of it I can still use and what part I will have to recut.  



But, that is no big deal; most seamstresses know they will have to rip something out sooner or later; so we just take it all in stride and keep moving forward.  Tomorrow, I hope to be able to finish the sleeves, attach them to the bodice, and begin making the En Forreau back of the dress.



4 comments:

  1. Smiles, yes... Ripping out something that didn't go quite right I do it all the time! I think your outfit came out beautifully in those golden-y colours. I have this pattern, too. Made it last Christmas :) I love her historic fashions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee. I love the pattern; I'm disappointed that I didn't take more time to correctly fit it to the doll. I am going to start all over with different fabric, and see if I can do a better job. Hope you follow me through to see how it turns out.

      Delete