Wednesday, December 10, 2014

What Should We Tell Our Children About Santa?

Today as I was folding laundry and listening to Christian Christmas music, my mind started reminiscing about secular Christmas music--especially about the music featuring Santa Claus.  Songs like "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," "Up on the Housetop," "Rudolph, the Rednose Reindeer," etc. all bring back sweet memories of my own childhood and memories of my playing Santa's helper with my two girls during their childhoods (their father played the part of Santa).

These were, indeed, magical times that were so exhilerating that it was hard to go to sleep the night before Christmas.  Back in my humble childhood home in the farm country of Mississippi, my older sister played the largest role in making those memories so special.  She would always warm a blanket by the old space heater, wrap me in it tightly, and tuck me in under the covers of the old feather bed. I am sure she did the same for my younger brother and slightly older sister, as well as having the same done for her when she was a small child.  The bedrooms were always so cold, but her sweet efforts to make Christmas special for us smaller brother and sisters replaced that coldness with a warm fire of love in our hearts.  Christmas was so special at our house; it was a unique time of the year when my parents spared their hard-earned money to buy their six children presents.  Although, at a young age we were unaware that our parents were responsible for the presents.  It was seldom that we received presents during the rest of the year, even on our birthdays.  So this was a very special treat.

As I grew older and started to realize those magical times were just that--magical (magic), I had some rather blue, almost depressed feelings for several years after finding out about the myth of Santa.
Right now I feel almost traitorous saying that it would have been better to have not believed in Santa at all.  Why do I say that?  Because as a child I am sure this was my first ever experience of putting my faith into something that I could not see.  To have believed it with all the childlike faith I had was certainly a "setup" for a great "letdown."

This whole "make believe Santa experience" that I described above is one that is shared my many, many people in the world today.  Those who play the role of the trusting child, and those who play the role of the loving "Santa" are all caught up in the myth.  Like all "untruths" there comes a time for "fessing up."  This is not only a dreaded burdon put on those loved ones playing Santa, but it is a life- size disappointment and disallusionment for those children who are lovingly subjected to it.

So how do I think this age old tradition should be handled by Christian parents?  I believe the truth of Christmas should be told.   Jesus Christ is the reason for the season of Christmas. He is the great gift giver, for he gave his life for us.  This Truth may not be as much fun to a small child, but in the long run of life, it is the best road to take.  There will be no embellished myth to confess, there will be no great disappointment to be had by the children; there will be only a Truth that can never be debauched and a promise of a gift -- eternal life--that will never be withdrawn.

To those of you who read these thoughts of mine, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas that is wrapped up in the love and sacrifice of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the gift in the manger.

No comments:

Post a Comment