Monday, August 4, 2014

A Little Disappointed in This One

Well, I'm wrapping up the little en forreau dress that I've been making and I wouldn't be honest if I said that it was an easy dress to fit to the doll.  It was not an easy dress to fit to the doll.  The en forreau, the outer robe part of the outfit, was apparently designed to fit a particular size doll--a smaller one than my model, Mattie.  So that is why there are little folds in the bodice on either side of the front opening. Pleased, I am not!  Fortunately, the back of the en forreau and the petticoat turned out as I hoped they would, but with the front not looking so well, in my opinion the whole outfit is a failure!!!

But, what can you expect the first time you use a pattern.  Most professional seamstresses would probably have made a "muslin," a mock up of the outfit sewn from cheaper fabric, such as muslin. I did not do this, however, because the fabric that I used was from the sale bin at JoAnn's, so I did not have a lot invested in the material--just my time.  Hopefully, next time that I make an outfit from this pattern, I will be able to make some adjustments to allow for a better fit.  I also think that my choice of fabric for the en forreau was not a good choice.  The taffeta was very unforgiving when it had to be sewn in curved lines.  That is probably why the bodice did not fit as it should have fit.

Oh, well, it was a challenge to make and an interesting historical design, so I guess that made the project worthwhile. Here are two pictures of the outfit before I have completed the handsewing that has to be done on it.  Once this is done, I will take my final pictures and post them.  Thanks for keeping up with this sewing project.  Sharing with you always makes it more fun for me.  Hope you enjoyed it, too.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment